Vermont Utilities Urge Vermonters to Apply Now for COVID-19 Utility Bill Assistance

June 8, 2022

Grants Available for Direct Help to Vermonters who Suffered Economic Hardship Due to the Pandemic  

MONTPELIER, Vt. – Vermont utilities are reminding their customers that help is available for those struggling to pay existing and past bills. Vermonters financially impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic can apply for two grant programs for renters and homeowners to help with overdue utility bills. Customers may be eligible for tens of thousands of dollars through these programs, and should apply now before money runs out:

  • Vermont Emergency Rental Assistance Program (VERAP) provides federal grant money for qualified renters to help pay their past due and ongoing utility bills and rent. Learn more and apply at or by calling 833-488-3727.
  • Vermont Homeowner Assistance Program (VT HAP) provides federal grant money for qualified homeowners to help pay up to $30,000 of their past due utility bills, mortgage, and association fees. Learn more and apply at or by calling 833-221-4208.

Customers who have past due arrearages are encouraged to apply through VERAP or VT HAP, or contact their utility directly to set up a payment plan.

Barton Electric Department- (802) 525-4747
Enosburg Falls Electric Department- (802) 933-4443
Hardwick Electric Department- (802) 472-5201
Jacksonville Electric Company- (802) 368-7010
Johnson Water & Light Department- (802) 635-2611
Ludlow Electric Light Department- (802) 228-7766
Lyndonville Electric Department- (802) 626-3366
Morrisville Water & Light- (802) 888-3348
Northfield Electric Department- (802) 485-6121
Orleans Electric Department- (802) 754-8584
Swanton Village Electric- (802) 868-3397